PLI cordially invites you to our Librarian Advisory Breakfast at the AALL 2014 Annual Meeting and Conference.
We’re currently developing a taxonomy with the aim of making our content even easier to find and discover online and we’ll showcase our prototype over breakfast. During the breakfast, we’ll also demonstrate the exciting future enhancements that are currently planned for Practising Law Institute’s Discover PLUS, our eBook library containing our authoritative Treatises, Answer Books, Course Handbooks, Program Transcripts, and Legal Forms.
Breakfast will take place bright and early on Monday, July 14th from 7:30 – 8:30 AM at the Marriott Riverwalk. Don’t worry–we’ll have plenty of coffee!
Please email us to RSVP and we’ll include location details in your confirmation.
On Monday July 15th 2013 at the 106th American Association of Law Libraries (AALL) Annual Meeting & Conference, Practising Law Institute announced its lucky sweepstakes winner, Ruck DeMinico of Merlin Law Group.
Tell us a little about yourself, your work, and what a typical day looks like for you:
I started off my legal career as a trial attorney and litigated for the first dozen years, trying a couple hundred jury trials. I had always been interested in librarianship and decided to go back to get my degree and work at what I really enjoyed. I don’t know that there is a typical day – unless controlled chaos can be considered typical. Being a sole librarian for a firm with offices on both coasts and in seven states, research questions can come in on any jurisdiction and, as in any private firm, they are all considered rush/priority by the sender and can come at any time of the day or night. I also handle the traditional library functions, vendor relations, DMS/KM, edit and maintain the firm blogs, create handout materials and PowerPoints for presentations by firm attorneys at seminars, and along with the Managing Attorney and COO am a member of the firm’s Management team.
Have you kayaked before? Where will you take your Discover PLUS branded Kayak:
I have, in the Miami/Everglades area. I love canoeing and spend as much free time as I can on the rivers here in Florida. I’m looking forward to exploring the mangroves around Tampa Bay with the kayak and may take fishing back up now that I can maneuver in the mangroves.
What do you like most about your job as Knowledge Manager of Merlin Law Group:
The constant change in what I’m doing. Every day is different, with new challenges.
As an attorney and law librarian, what do you think are the most challenging issues/trends shaping the legal industry today?:
I would say ESI/e-discovery, especially for smaller cases that may still have large amounts of electronic data to provide – where the use of vendors may be cost prohibitive.
Are you familiar with Discover PLUS, PLI’s eBook library? Did you receive a demo at PLI’s booth at the American Association of Law Libraries (AALL) Conference in Seattle:
I did see the demo at AALL. I like the ‘all-inclusive’ business model, rather than having to choose which individual books to purchase or subscribe to.
Discover PLUS provides complete online access to PLI’s Course Handbooks, Treatises, Answer Books, Legal Forms and Program Transcripts.
- Thanks to everyone who stopped by our booth at the AALL Conference in Seattle. We were there to provide you with information on PLI’s eBook library, Discover PLUS, which provides online access to PLI’s Course Handbooks, Treatises, Answer Books, Legal Forms and Program Transcripts.
- Discover PLUS was named the 2013 New Product of the Year at this year’s annual meeting! The picture (above) shows Alexa Robertson, Director of Library Relations and Andrew Pantoja, Associate Publisher, accepting the award at the Awards Ceremony July 13, 2013.
- We had a great turnout at the PLI Lunch & Learn on July 14, 2013 at the Sheraton Seattle. Alexa Robertson delivered a presentation on eBooks, how Discover PLUS came to be and continues to evolve, and how we won the AALL New Product of the Year award with your help.
- The lucky sweepstakes winner of our Discover PLUS branded REI Kayak and Paddle was Ruck DeMinico of Merlin Law Group. Ruck currently lives in Florida where he manages all aspects of Merlin Law Group’s Document Management System, library and the informational operations of the firm. Congratulations and enjoy, Ruck!
- There were more than 1475 attendees at the 106th American Association of Law Libraries (AALL) Annual Meeting & Conference. We enjoyed meeting many of you at our booth, and hope that you had an opportunity to see our award-winning platform, Discover PLUS. See you next year in San Antonio, Texas!
In just a couple of weeks, the Library Relations Team at Practising Law Institute will be in Seattle for The American Association of Law Libraries (AALL) Annual Meeting (July 13-16). This year, we are proud to be the recipient of AALL’s 2013 New Product of the Year Award for PLI’s eBook library, Discover PLUS.
We know everyone’s conference schedules get booked fast with all the interesting sessions and networking events going on, but we look forward to meeting you!
We’re exhibiting at booth #116 where we will be raffling off a Discover PLUS REI Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 Kayak and Paddle. Sign up at our booth or online for a chance to win! And come join us for a “Lunch & Learn” on Sunday, July 14th. Our Director of Library Relations, Alexa Robertson, will demo Discover PLUS and lunch is on us! Please RSVP to email@example.com and we’ll send you the location and more information.
See you in Seattle!
PLI Library Relations hopes to see you in Philadelphia at the AALL Annual Conference. We’ll be at booth #832 – please stop by to say “hello”. We’ll be happy to answer any of your questions or to give a demo of PLI Discover. Or you can drop off your entry for the Caption the Cartoon sweepstakes. Let us know what our law book is dreaming about and the person with the cleverest entry will win an iPad.