With the modernization of the shipping industry, as well as traditional bank finance, shipping companies have gained access to the public markets in the United States, and many are now publicly held here. Add to this the global economic crisis and downturn in shipping markets, and both publicly and privately held shipping companies have sought protection from creditors under the Bankruptcy Act. It is therefore not unusual for lawyers of all types to have exposure to maritime law concepts.
If there’s a vessel involved, you need Maritime Law Answer Book 2015.
Written in a Q&A format, this volume includes step-by-step discussions of many of the unique and often confusing aspects of maritime law, including:
- The maritime arrest of vessels
- The exercise of pre-judgment attachment in maritime matters
- The handling of maritime limitation of liability proceedings
- A discussion of other unique aspects of maritime litigation
- Describes the maritime law considerations in buying, selling, financing, leasing, and operating vessels, while providing specific illustrative examples, practice tips, and guidance
- Offers a detailed discussion of the environmental laws and regulations that affect vessel owners, operators, and financiers
- Covers maritime disputes and dispute resolution, providing a clear discussion of maritime arbitration practice plus the current rules of the leading maritime arbitration organizations