We will continue to add to this channel with additional search tips so make sure to keep checking in. If you have any suggestions for other search tips videos, please contact the PLI Library Help Desk team.
July 31, 2014 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. (E.D.T.)
Over the past year, the United States and other countries in the G-20 and the OECD have been working to develop and implement an Action Plan on Base Erosion and Profit Shifting, commonly referred to as “BEPS.” The Action Plan includes 15 “action items” and a tight timetable over the next 18 months for delivering the identified outputs.
In this One-Hour Briefing, John L. Harrington, partner at Dentons US LLP, and Robert B. Stack, U.S. Treasury Deputy Assistant Secretary (International Tax Affairs) (invited) will discuss how these BEPS developments and proposals will affect U.S. companies with cross border activities. The program will focus on:
- Likely recommendations regarding the digital economy, hybrid mismatch arrangements, abuse of tax treaties, and transfer pricing documentation and treatment of intangibles
- What U.S. companies should be doing to prepare for the changes likely to result from BEPS
- What U.S. companies should be doing to provide input in the process
Register now and don’t miss this important free briefing!
July 29, 2014 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. (E.D.T.)
On May 30, 2014, a ten-person jury in the Southern District of New York returned a unanimous verdict in favor of the defendants in SEC v. Obus, one of the longest-running insider trading cases in history. Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP represented Nelson Obus, a New York-based hedge fund manager, in the SEC’s trial against him and two co-defendants for allegedly trading in the securities of SunSource, Inc. on the basis of material non-public information that the company was about to be sold. The jury’s verdict marks the end of a long fight by Mr. Obus to clear his name. The SEC first subpoenaed Mr. Obus and his co-defendants, as well as his hedge funds, in 2002 and filed the complaint in 2006. Gibson Dunn succeeded in winning summary judgment in the case in 2010, a ruling that was reversed by the Second Circuit two years later. Defendants proceeded to trial in May 2014, and the jury’s unanimous verdict came on May 30, 2014, after just one day of deliberations.
Please join Joel M. Cohen and Mary Kay Dunning of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP as they discuss:
- The classical and misappropriation theories of insider trading
- Strategies for defending clients during the SEC investigation phase
- Exploring case theories during discovery
- Developing offensive trial themes
- Countering SEC trial tactics
- Dealing with old evidence and witness testimony
- Tippee liability under SEC v. Obus
- The SEC’s plan to pursue more insider trading actions administratively
Register now and don’t miss this important free briefing!
July 28th, 2014, 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 pm. (E.D.T.)
Join this One-Hour Briefing and listen to attorneys involved in both sides of the Dudenhoeffer case, as well as an attorneyinvolved with the case for the Department of Labor, for a discussion of its background and impact. The discussion will be moderated by expert faculty who has hosted our series of Hot Topic Briefings on various ERISA cases as they are decided.
Please join Robert Long (Covington & Burling LLP), Professor Ronald J. Mann (Columbia Law School) and Thomas Tso (United States Department of Labor) for a free One-Hour Briefing on the Supreme Court’s decision on Fifth Third Bank v. Dudenhoeffer.
Attorneys of all backgrounds, expertise, and experience are welcome.
Listed below are the PLI Course Handbooks published in June 2014:
Corporate Law and Practice
- Acquiring or Selling the Privately Held Company 2014
- Audit Committees and Financial Reporting 2014: Recent Developments and Current Issues
- Corporate Compliance and Ethics Institute 2014
- Fundamentals of Broker-Dealer Regulations 2014
- Global Capital Markets & the U.S. Securities Laws 2014: Raising Capital in an Evolving Regulatory Environment
- Internal Investigations 2014
Intellectual Property Law
- Cloud Computing 2014: Key Issues and Practical Guidance
- Fundamentals of Patent Litigation 2014
- Understanding Patent Law 2014
Litigation and Administrative Law
- 14th Annual School Law Institute 2014
- Employment Discrimination Law & Litigation 2014
- Expert Witness 2014
- International Arbitration 2014
- International Employment Law 2014
- M&A Litigation 2014
- Pretrial Practice 2014
- Prior Art and Obviousness 2014: Current Trends in Sections 102 and 103
Real Estate Law and Practice
Tax Law and Estate Planning
- Tax Planning for Domestic & Foreign Partnerships, LLCs, Joint Ventures & Other Strategic Alliances 2014
If you have any questions or would like to order a title, please email the PLI Library Relations Department or call 877-900-5291.
The Practising Law Institute 2014 Discover PLUS coverage list is out! Our coverage list is a reference guide for librarians, attorneys, researchers, and other PLI Discover PLUS subscribers. Inside the catalog is a listing of the books, forms, and transcripts that are available through Discover PLUS. PLI Discover PLUS contains all PLI published materials, including our authoritative Treatises, Answer Books, and Course Handbooks in addition to our forms and program transcripts.
We’re deep in the heart of Texas in San Antonio for the AALL Annual Meeting and Conference.
We’re busy hosting advisory breakfasts and talking to our fellow librarians about Practising Law Institute Discover PLUS but make sure you stop by our booth, # 218!
We have a raffle prize you won’t want to miss.
In June 2014, PLI updated the following Treatises:
- Corporate Political Activities Deskbook Release # 2
- Hillman on Commercial Loan Documentation (6th Edition) Release # 1
- Immigration Fundamentals: A Guide to Law & Practice (4th Edition) Release #38
- Investment Adviser Regulation: A Step-by-Step Guide to Compliance and the Law (3rd Edition) Release # 5
- Private Equity Funds: Formation and Operation Release # 5
- Trade Secrets: A Practitioner’s Guide (2nd Editon) Release # 9
- Variable Annuities and Variable Life Insurance Regulation (2nd Edition) Release # 3
If you are on standing order for any of these titles, the releases have already been shipped. If you would like to place an order, please email PLI Library Relations or call 877-900-5291.